Thursday, January 20, 2011

PNH Blogging #4 - One BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) moment you've had

This is something I'll elaborate on in a later post, but it was when I decided to try clicker training to help Royal trailer load confidently. My family's trailer is a 3 horse slant load with a mid-tack. The nice thing is that the back is wide open and inviting for unconfident horse. The bad thing is there was plenty of room for Royal to turn around and run out immediately. It was never so bad that I couldn't keep him in there if I needed to, but it was always stressful for both of us. I tried all the Parelli stuff I could think of, but it never worked very well. My beagle Copper is clicker trained so I thought I might be able to try it out with Royal.

It only took one hour for him to hop right in, side-pass up to the front, and wait to be tied. The only thing I could think of was "why haven't I tried this before?!". And a couple days later, I had to load him in the trailer to go to Bayfield, and he did. No problem.

It was an epiphany.

No comments:

Post a Comment