Monday, January 17, 2011

PNH Blogging #2 - What is your favorite savvy and why?

I would have to say my favorite savvy is Freestyle, by a nose. I like them all, but Royal is really fun to ride and I love jumping. It's also very useful in developing harmony and balance for both human and horse, since neither can depend on the reins. Freestyle has helped me and Royal with emotional control as well.

~~~~~~~~

Today was my last day of freedom and it was in the mid-twenties, so I headed out to play with Royal. I decided to try Partial Disengagement again and see how it went. Royal did very well at first, even with some trotting, but after a half an hour, just got very tense and WOULD. NOT. RELAX. Royal can nurse tension like some people nurse grudges and this time he was bound and determined. He tried yanking the rein from my hand, grinding his teeth, picking up the bit and chomping, flipping his head, turning in a circle, going r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y, for about ten minutes (felt like an eternity). Finally, he let out a deep sigh and I dropped the reins like they were hot. Phew! I didn't get mad or frustrated, I just stayed there until he relaxed. We stopped in the middle of the arena, hung out for a bit, and tried again. This time, it only took about 15 seconds for a nice long snort and that's when I quit.

"Make the wrong thing difficult and the right thing easy."

No comments:

Post a Comment