Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How Organic Chemistry Makes Me Feel Stupid - A Rant

Firstly, I will admit to a certain amount of intelligence on my part, though nawt alwais wif sppellllling. But Organic Chemistry has a special way of completely destroying that.

In 90% of my life, I feel like this:

The glasses and book indicate smartness.

But in Organic Chemistry, I feel like this:

Really truly stupid.

The worst part of it... wait, scratch that. There are many bad parts, the first is that REAL Organic Chemists(tm) have no sympathy for you. You ask a question about the preference for the meta substitution of nitronium with methyl benzoate and you get the "seriously?" look

"Your ignorance makes me a special kind of sad. I must cuddle a hundred kittens before I commit suicide because of you."

And your classmates, who breeze through the lab in half the time you do and get A's on everything, whilst flipping their hair and laughingly say that they only studied for an hour.

"You actually went to lecture? I just sleep on my book and the knowledge diffuses into my brain."

I really really really would like to think they're lying. That they spend all day feverishly pouring over the texts but I don't. The effortlessness with which they breeze through it all makes me realize they have It and I Don't. I can spend hours and hours studying, only to get to the tests and find my brain just isn't helping me out.


So, here I am. Struggling to understand what the hell I am actually doing while trying not to stab myself in the throat with a piece of glassware in lab. Maybe someday it will click, until then, I wear my stupid hat in Organic Chemistry.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Chemistry and HATED the organic part! So I feel for you!
    Hope you are feeling better!!!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete