Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Not-Spring, Part Two

 
So, after a super fantastic bout of sunniness and warm weather, just in time for the Horse Expo, wherein everyone was walking around outside and enjoying themselves, what happened?

It snowed.

And got really cold (flirting with freezing) and windy and wet.

Sigh.


Notice the heavyweight blanket. This was on May 1st.

We did get a nice ride in before it got cold again. I let Royal trot a ways down the road before we cantered up and down a side road. He seemed happy to get out and stretch his legs a bit. He didn't even snort too hard at the Sheep of Death and the Demon Llama, who were gamboling around in the sun. I think everyone's ready for summer; I know I am. I've been trying to get his at least halfway presentable, starting with his mane and tail. The tail is fairly straightforward. I've so far just been spraying it with detangler and letting it be, and so far it's starting to look fuller. I've also been v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y pulling his mane using the Lynn Palm method, which he doesn't seem to mind at all. The trick is to take very few hair, as in half of what you think the minimum should be. So far it's going well, although I may end up using some thinning shears eventually.


Today it was nice and warm again, so I tried to take Royal out to the Big Field to see how the footing is there. But the creek that runs between the pastures and the Big Field was pretty deep and surrounded by slippery long grass, so Royal understandably wanted nothing to do with it, and we went for a nice walk instead. He didn't even spook at the garbage cans. Progress!

So, now, weather... cooperate please?

No comments:

Post a Comment