Thursday, August 30, 2012

Quick Pre-Steepleview Update

Whew! The past couple of weeks have been madness! It seems like I've been out of the house all day for one reason or another and haven't had much time to blog. But the main objective has been prepping for the Steepleview Horse Trials! A lot of it has been dressage, but we've been able to get some jumping in as well.

But first we had to find the jumps. The field where I had them has become very overgrown, so last Wednesday, my sister and I had to mount a rescue mission in order to find them. It took a little bit of time, but eventually we found everything and brought them all back. We took the stuff I wanted to use and put it in one of the pastures so I could set them up later. The horses were all very interested in these new things.

Intruder Alert!

We've also been doing more braiding, and doubling up on the wires really helped with the stability of a lot of the braids


He looks much more ewe-necked there than he is. But I think the buttons will look good.

Our main dressage goal has been transitions, and he keeps getting better and better. He still has a tendency to shut down when he get confused, but as long as I stay soft, he usually comes out of it well. I figures the key to trot-canter transitions is to really rev up myself and let him figure out the rest. He still gets nervous, but at least he knows the game.

Jumping has also gone well. He still bops over everything, although he can get a but looky. On Wednesday, a big puddle had formed in the field, so we used that as practice for a water obstacle. He alternated between trotting though it and jumping into it, so it was good practice for me. He strolled over everything and we were even able to string a mini-course together. He's on top form and seems really ready for the weekend ahead.

And now it's time for me to keep preparing. I have to polish my boots, get my stock-tie ready, but his bridle back together, pack all my clothes, and so on. Tomorrow I work, then go and walk my x-c course, and then on Saturday, it'll be STEEPLEVIEW TIME! I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment