Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

I'm not dead, just been busy with finals and crap. This past week has been crazy. I had a worksheet due and the Organic Lab practical on Tuesday (84%! W00t!), two finals (Equine Physio and Anthropology) on Wednesday, a HUGE lab report and another worksheet due yesterday, and an Anthropology paper due today. Woof. I'm exhausted and still not done. Organic lecture final is a week from today, but I'm feeling okay about it. In the meantime, there will be playtime with the Fuzz.

Funny (or not) story though: the lab check-out procedures are very stringent, and if you don't do everything right, they will charge you $25+ for the privilege for rifling through your drawer. I was one of the last ones to get checked out, and just as I handed the desk card to the stockroom dude, I thought I saw that my TA hadn't signed it. I was about to say something, but decided that it wouldn't be a big deal. I got my yellow confirmation slip back, gave it to my TA, and left. I was walking to my favorite cafe (The Tea Garden) when a horrible thought occurred to me: what if they go through the desk cards, see that mine isn't signed, and go through my drawer? And charge me $25+ for it? Crap!

So, later, I e-mailed my TA, asking if they could look into the matter. I figured that since they had an office not too far from the lab, they could just go over and ask. Plus, I didn't think the stockroom would let me check it without some higher approval, because I might do something nefarious. Like, I don't know, say that I have four 50ml Erlenmeyer flasks when I really have three. Mwahahahaha! But my TA's response was that I needed to go to the stockroom, get the card, bring it to them, have them sign it, and bring it back. Well, I was already at home, 20 miles from campus, when I got this and had no time to run back before my farrier appointment. And the stockroom wouldn't be open today, so no dice there. We played e-mail tag for a while until I was informed that they wouldn't have given me my slip back if everything wasn't perfect. I highly doubted this, since I am well-informed about all the cognitive errors humans make on a daily basis. A missing signature falls into the "easy to overlook" category. But, at the same time, I was well aware that I could be mistaken, but had no idea how to find out.

I then got the brilliant idea that I should have had in the first place, which was to call the stockroom on my way to the farm. I had to go through a few other people to get there, but eventually got through and left a message seeing if they could check on my desk card. Well, they checked the wrong desk card, but assured me that they don't make mistakes and if I had gotten my yellow slip, that was the end of the matter. I thanked them for their time and when I got back home, e-mailed and told my TA that the matter was settled and I was sorry to be a bother.

Of course, if I do find a "lab drawer check" fee on my student account, there will be hell to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment